Monday, December 8, 2014

William's I-spy quilt

(originally posted on the main blog 9-5-2013)

big-boy size: 67 x 87 inches
88 different squares
It is done! It is finished! Here is the evolution:
I-spy squares laid out on the design wall. Have to find/create some more.


Calculating the size. I decide that I should use sashing. But what color? Solid blue?



Blue with green corner stones?


Green with blue corner stones?


Black with blue and green corner stones. I had found black fabric in my stash with a quiet (not too bold) pattern of spiders and webs. Thought it was great for a little boy ... but there wasn't enough of it.


But we (Grandpa helped) found lovely fabric with sparkling stars. James thought the corner stones should be random. I am not good with random ... so Grandpa placed them.


I pieced it together and took it, the batting and the backing to Nashville where longarm quilter Linda Gray did a marvelous job quilting it. Helen is a firm believer that each quilt needs its label. All right. I bought fabric markers and William co-operated having his little hand drawn onto the fabric. On another piece I checked washing and ironing it. I think the markers are a cool tool. Helen finished, placed and sewed the label on and started hand-sewing the binding.


I just finished the hand-sewing of the binding today. Yeah! Done! Totally finished! What do you think?
I spy with my little eye: pizza! peanuts! mosquitoes! penguins! a frog playing the cello! cupcakes! basketballs! cows! .......
I can't wait to play with William. Oh yes, I spy with my little eye: trains (his favorite!)



The front!


The back!



No comments: