Monday, January 19, 2015

I won it!

It must have been before Christmas 2003 when I went to a church bazaar close to where we lived in the Pines Subdivision in Paducah Kentucky. I was too late and the bazaar was picked over but in the entrance sat a lady I knew. I had given one of Ina's daughters German lessons many years ago when we still lived at the lake.
Ina was a member of a quilt group and was selling raffle tickets to benefit the Human Society ... $1 a ticket or 6 for $5. I give her $5 and said "here is my donation" and wanted to go on. She insisted that I would fill out the tickets. I told her that I knew it was a donation "I never win!"
She made me fill out one and said she write the others for me. She was bored.
Couple of weeks later I got a phone call from her that I had won. "Won what?" The quilt! She told me that I had won on my ticket. It wasn't one she had filled out because it wasn't her handwriting. My comment: I could have won on just one ticket?
It is a very cute quilt and we hang it in Nashville in our bedroom. Cats and dogs!


This is the label on the back side. It says:
This quilt was made by Massac Quilter's Guild members in honor and memory of Miriam Houchins, a victim of 2003 Massac County Tornado. Massac Quilter's Guild donated this quilt to Project Hope Humane Society to be used as a fund raiser. Miriam was a member of both groups.
Metropolis, Illinois 2003
 

No comments: