Sunday, January 21, 2018

NQC block # 2

I know, I know, totally different fabric line than block # 1 but I am planning to make that one again. I do like how this turned out. The background fabric is a little "busy" but it is all I had in my stash in more quantity. 



I do want to report though what I did different.

First though I want to say how nice it is that Gina Perkes shares her patterns at the FaceBook group NQC Quilt Block Challenge. The patterns are written very detailed. I have no trouble understanding them and doing it. But ... we all work differently. I am a very frugal "cutter". Directions say to cut from the four different colors each a 5 1/4 inch square and cut it in 4 triangles but you only use 2. You cut from each a 4 7/8 inch square and cut it into 2 but only use 1. Too much waste for me.


So here is what I did:

I cut the 5 1/4 inch square (from each of the four fabrics) and cut it into 2 triangles.




I took one of the triangles, lined it up with a horizontal line of the cutting board and the tip on a vertical line and cut it (like you would cut it if you would cut the square into four). I had the 2 triangles I was supposed to have.


I took the other triangle, lined it up on the cutting board and imagined it as square. I cut it into the imaginary 4 7/8 inch square. I had that 1 triangle I was supposed to have. Almost no waste.



For me the trick to easy assembly/sewing is to "stage" the block. I folded the squares for the flying geese and pinned them and added all the other pieces. The rest was very easy chain-sewing.


Looking forward to next week's pattern!


No comments: