Monday, April 18, 2016

A week of twist and cross

Monday April 4
Phoebe is a Quilting Teacher. She came to the house when Helen was here and taught her/us basting and hand quilting. In exchange she wanted me to teach her bobbinlace making. So she came at 9:30 am and we got right to it.She was an excellent student and we introduced the fifth pair on the right edge not to waste any time. We starched it and she could pull all the pins. She borrowed one of my pillows, bobbins and books and I hope she is busy doing it at home.

Tuesday April 5
I had to get up very early because I had to be in Williamsburg at Mary's house at 8:30am. It's a 75 minutes drive. Lace teacher Vera Cockuyt from Belgium had come for a two day workshop. She had come before and you can read about that HERE! I had enjoyed that workshop too.
Vera had offered lessons in several different techniques but I asked whether she would help me finish my third to last Chrismon. She is so kind and seemed happy to do so. I think it was a success and I am so happy. (The thread is really white. It just looks yellow in this photo)
Next day I was a bit more relaxed and even thought about taking photos. I think Vera had her hands full.
Kristen is new in the area but unfortunately will not stay for long. She is a serious lacemaker and makes yardage lace on commission for church use. I must admit that I was thrilled to learn that she had made the lace I had designed for a baptism table cloth for Grace Episcopal Church in Paducah KY. The pattern had been published in the HLG newsletter and the IOLI Bulletin.
I forgot to ask her in which church it is used on the altar. Isn't this exciting?
My second day project: the Keys Chrismon. My second to last of my series. I had to design it myself. I was inspired by what half of the other students were working on.I bought Vera's book. Very helpful!
I had been very sceptical in the beginning thinking this type of lace was not for me but it was actually fun working.
Lunch break. Admiring Mary's garden. Secured so the deer don't do the first harvest. Actually I took these photos for Sarah because they have deer in their neighborhood too. It can be done!
Natalie makes great progress too. Sorry I didn't get around to the other ladies. But I did finish my Chrismon!

Workshop was over and a big THANK YOU to Mary for hosting it. And for putting up with us. And for putting up with my mistakes. Cutting up vegetables and preparing a soup from scratch the evening before for lunch on the second day, bringing it in a crockpot, plugging it in but not turning it on? I think it was good for supper though.

Workshop was over ... but only one more and I have all 24 for my Chrismon Adventcalendar. I had blogged about it HERE!
The shell. Again, I had to design it myself. I was on a roll. Worked all Friday on it.
Yes, all Friday. But you got to treat yourself sometime, right?
Yes, and I finished! Refreshed, ha-ha. I might still improve on it later but for now ... I am happy.
THE ... PROJECT ... IS ... DONE !
What a nice feeling. And you can find all patterns on my Chrismon blog (just give me a little time to post the last two). Most were graciously given to me with permission to publish by Brigitte Bellon. I owe her a huge THANK YOU!

No comments: