Friday, January 19, 2018

Cotton Robin and other things

Got my Cotton Robin center done. It's going to be in the mail soon. Fun! Gosh, it's difficult not to show a photo of it since it is supposed to be a secret. You still can sign up to participate. Click on the LABEL on the right if you want to read more about my previous posts about it.

In the meantime I made these two hearts. Little projects. I am sorting out my files in my computer and in paper. Trying to decide what patterns to keep. These are Danish Woven Hearts, traditionally made with red and white paper.


When we were in Israel in September, we visited Nazareth Village and I was very interested to talk to a spinner/weaver. Here is the LINK to the blog. She had a bowl with different colored balls of wool and the natural material she had used to dye it. The dried peel of pomegranate stuck into my memory.

I peeled 3 or 4 pomegranates and let the peel dry forever ... until the pot kept getting into the way and it was time to try the dying. I had been told that the peel has to be dried first, then it had to be cooked. 


After it had cooled I strained it and soaked some pieces of white fabric. Let it soak for a long time.


I rinsed the pieces and put them into the dryer, and ironed them. I expected the color to be more intense and red, not yellow. The second photo shows the color more true. The brown spots on the fabric happened because I should have used a coffee filter instead of the sieve which was too corse. My first ever dyeing attempt.



I think dyeing is not my thing. It's easier to just buy gorgeous fabric (smile).

2 comments:

Lin said...

What a shame your results were disappointing as dyeing fabric is such fun. I solar dye in the summer using leaves and other natural goodies. You can get really good results without any fuss. Let me know if you would like me to send you details. xx

Christa said...

Thanks for commenting. I have never heard about solar dying. Not at home right now but have to look on the computer later whether you have blogged about it. My thought is that the color probably needs to be fixed so I could use the fabric.