Sunday, January 14, 2018

NQC Quilt Block Challenge

I came across a new free BOM challenge. Here is the link to NQC Quilt Block Challenge.
The best is to sign up to also belong to the FaceBook group. Block #1 was published and the variety of all the different finished blocks posted is amazing. I learned a lot about choosing fabric by just looking. Couldn't leave it alone and had to try it. The block is 16 inches square. Here is my just finished Block #1:



One of the posted finished blocks was one where a border fabric was used. I "needed" to try that. The only border fabric I had in my stash was this:



It had to do. I cut the squares and pinned them on the rectangles to make sure I had them the correct way. You can see that the one in the middle still needs to be placed.


After I had sewn, ironed and trimmed the flying geese, I remembered that I had read a question on that FaceBook group site about "what to do with the cut-off".

Well, here is what I did. After cutting the rectangles for the inner smaller flying geese I marked them at 2 1/2 inches from both ends on both longer sides.


I paired up the 8 cut-offs from the larger flying geese and trimmed them to 2 1/2 inches on the top.


I placed them as if I had a square (on the marks to be sure) and sewed.


Ironed and then needs to be trimmed.


Here is a tip (you also can find under my Quilt Tutorial tab at the top = all those corner triangles). I don't mark squares across or iron like some, I put I piece of paper across (to be very accurate I pinned this time) and sew along the edge. It works out more perfect then anything else for me and ... it's fast! I would love to know if you tried it and what you think.





I do want to do this block again with a good color scheme in my mind. But I am very pleased right now anyway.


No comments: