Sunday, March 11, 2018

NQC Block # 5

Happy Saturday! Lucky I have some time to sew. I will attempt to make Block # 5 of the National Quilters Circle Challenge. All 9 blocks are now out. If you would like the free blocks, click here.
I have a lot to catch up.

And here it is! I am quite pleased with it. Unfortunately the colors in the photo are not as nice. I guess the lighting at 10 pm in my sewing room is not conducive to taking photos.


I had a dilemma though when I wanted to start. The pattern was different from the original drawing of the whole quilt. Decision, decision.



I find it always helpful to do some coloring.


And here is my cutting chart:


First sew the two strips from the first two fabrics together. Then cut into 4 sections 4 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches. These are the bases for the Flying Geese.



To make sure I fold the squares for the star points and pin them (roughly) into place. This makes the chain sewing so much easier. 


Next take the 4 squares from the first fabric and second and sew the corner stones and put aside.


Sew the triangles to the center square. Do opposite sides, press, sew the other opposite sides, press.
Trim to 6 inches.


Add the other triangles from the two different fabrics. 
Now this square should measure 8 1/2 x 8 1/2 inches.


Assemble as shown.


Perfect square 16 1/2 x 16 1/2 inches. 
If you would like to print this out, here is a PDF! Disclaimer: when I write a pattern, I usually immediately use it to make that item again. This time I don't have time to do that. Should you do my pattern and find something unclear or a mistake, please let me know.




No comments: