Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Paducah KY National Quilt Museum

On my main blog I chatted about our trip to Paducah KY where we used to live for many years many years ago (what a sentence). I have been to the museum several times. Paducah is a small town (relative). It seems everybody knows everybody else and Meredith Schroeder is the grandma of one of the girl scouts in the troop I was a leader of. But I am happy to go to the museum again. It is always different. 

Saturday July 31

Our airbnb was close and I walked over  to the museum. 


In the lobby I was directed to this 'quilt'. Can you believe that this is not really a quilt? It is actually a wood carving. It was amazing to stand very close to examine it. Unbelievable.  


There were 4 different exhibits to admire and then there is always a section of quilts owned by the museum.

Exhibit: Stone Portraits & Sacred Stonescapes by Denise Labadie.
Many amazing pieces of fabric art.


Exhibit: Quarantine Quilts - Creativity in the midst of Chaos
(I think this is one of them but not so sure anymore)


Exhibit: Never Forget - Quilts from the 9/11 Memorial and Museum
Gosh, this was moving. 









Exhibit: Baltimore goes Modern by Cathy Erickson









I think these are from the museum collection:










You could take 100s of photos of all the beautiful things people of created, but there comes a point when you have to be selective. I limit now taking photos of quilts which give me new ideas or introduce me to a new technique, something I need to research when I am home. 
Oh yes ... so much to do, so limited time.
I am not kidding myself though. There are things I will never be able to do. - - - And that is ok too.


No comments: