Tuesday, August 14, 2018

In Honor of the Nashville wild duck couple

In a May blog I had talked about finding an egg from a wild duck couple in Nashville.



I had blown out the egg with my good old German gadget and intended to make it what James calls a negligée. I hang several with bobbinlace and tatting on my Easter tree every year.

Yesterday I went to my monthly lacemakers meeting in Williamsburg. A new person has joined us. She recently had started to tat and wanted to know how to do split rings. I promised her that I would show her. I have not done it in a while so I was a good girl and refreshed my memory the night before ... and yes, I still could do it.

So, I quickly came up with this pattern.




There are 6 daisies in a row. And here is how.
I "loaded" two shuttles with continues thread.
First daisy:
I made 1 ring with one shuttle=  5 p 5 p 2 p 2 p 5 p 5
Make 4 more rings=  5 jp 5 p 2 p 2 p 5 p 5
Now make a split ring. 
          with the same shuttle=  5 jp 5 p 2     
          with second shuttle=  5 jp 5 p 2
          close ring with first shuttle as usual
Next daisy:
Make split ring.
          with one shuttle=  2 p 5 p 5
          with second shuttle=  2 p 5 p 5
          close with first shuttle
Now make 2 rings with one shuttle and 2 rings with the other shuttle.
Split ring with both shuttles.

( p = picot, jp = join to picot )

The band of daisies was fixed to the egg doing work with the needle.

I made similar daisies for my daughter when she got married. I made the veil and my mother sewed the daisies to the edge. 


Helen looked so beautiful. And she was very happy with what we had made. That was in 2006.


Ha, that duck egg had started a chain of memories. 


No comments: