Saturday, June 19, 2021

I am on a roll

I am having fun thinking about what the next months' BOMs for the WE Quilt Group could be. Of course July BOM is any star with patriotic fabric. I decided to play with the Sawtooth Star block.

There are many Sawtooth Star block versions on the internet. Lots of free patterns. Some use 4 'flying geese' and some 8 HSTs. I choose the latter this time.

But they are very simple to do. Since we are making 12" finished blocks and the star is in 4 sections: 12 : 4 = 3     Each section should be finished 3" which means each square neads to be 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 

First I made the HSTs. Since I need 2 blocks for the BOM I used the 'HST - 8 at a time' method. You can also find that link on this blog if you click on the 'Quilt Tutorial/Pattern' tab on the top. 

To make 8 at a time I used:

1 white 9" square and 1 red 9" square

1 white 9" square and 1 blue 9" square

1 red 9" square and 1 blue 9" square

Make sure you trim each neatly to 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches. Perfect squares and perfect 1/4 inch sewing foot make for a perfect block.

Of course you also need the white corner squares ... 8 for the 2 blocks. Easy peasy. 


Play with the lay-out!



Or give each of the 4 in the middle a half turn. Wind mill style.


How about this version?


For the Split Star block you need 2 different squares = on red and one blue.



And of course your selection of fabric will make a big difference too.


No comments: