Friday, June 18, 2021

Not much sewing going on lately

... but it seems it is picking up. In May I made the May and June quilt blocks for Quilt Block Lottery. Since I don't seem to have the time for a large project and don't feel the peace to work on one of my UFOs its the perfect project. It is something on Facebook. You can click on the name above.



Now started the July block but came to a screaching stop because I wasn't sure about my fabric selection.


The WE Quilt Group (West End chapter of the Richmond Quilt Guild) had at the May meeting decided to start a BOM. (The link is to our FaceBook site) Here are the "rules":

-   Each member who wishes to participate should make two blocks (set) and bring them to the meeting. 

-   Blocks will be collected at sign-in, one to be used for charity quilts and the other to be raffled off.

-   For each two blocks (set) a participant brings she will receive a raffle ticket.

-   Of course you can bring only one and add it to the charity pile. No raffle ticket. 

-   These are volunteer hours.  Please keep track and record on our sign-in sheet at each meeting.

I was quite excited about this project and even volunteered to be the coordinator. 


In my eyes it was a big success. We got 27 charity blocks and of course the winner got about the same. My friend Janet had volunteered to be the "June block assembler" and she did that at the Thursday Stitchers (another charity sewing group we belong too). These are most of the blocks on the design walls for two quilts with sashing. The photos are a bit two yellow as you can see from the above blocks. But isn't this cool? 
Oh, I probably should have said that these quilt go to the Stitchers who quilt the quilt tops which are made/donated and pass them on to many different worthy causes. 



The WE Quilt Group was on Tuesday this week in the morning and the Country School Quilters met in the evening (postponed from a week earlier because of the voting date). I almost didn't get to go but it was so worth it. The program was by Becky, one of our members. She is a very accomplished quilter. This time it was mainly about the sawtooth star pattern. We oohed and aahed  about her many quilts. I fell in love with this quilt especially.

Every single block was so interesting. Of course scrappy quilts are my favorite anyway. Just look at the following photos.





More of her sawtooth stars but a project in progress. A very interesting setting. That's what I like about these two groups. You learn soooooo much.



Now if I only could find the time to create something pretty myself ... or finish my UFOs (unfinished projects). At least one?

No comments: