Saturday, April 14, 2018

Woven Star

Love this block. I first saw it as the NQC Challenge # 2 Merope Star … but since then I have seen it out there in the quilt world written in different techniques. I like things simple and straightforward.  That’s why I wrote how I did it. I would like to make a whole quilt like this.


You need background fabric and 4 different fabrics which contrast against each other nicely.

Directions are for a 16 x 16 inch finished block
(16 1/2 square unfinished)

Background: cut 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 inch square (1)
4 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch square (4)

from each of the 4 fabrics: 5 x 5 (1)
                                                  5 1/2 x 5 1/2 inch (1, then sub-cut)


Sub-cut:
Each of the four larger squares cut first in half diagonally.

Then cut one of the triangles into two again. The photo above shows how to line it up on the cutting board.


First make the flying geese using the “4 flying geese at a time” method. There are lots of tutorials and you-tubes available. I have one link on my tutorial page.

It really does not matter in which order you use the 4 different squares.





Trim each of the flying geese to 4 1/2 to 8 1/2 inches. I find the Tucker Wing Clipper incredible useful for this.

With the finished flying geese lay out the block with all cut pieces.


You can chain-sew first each of the four smallest triangle pairs. 

Then add the larger triangles to those resulting into the 4 squares in the middle.  Find the middle on the long side of the larger triangle and finger press. Line this mark up with the seam of the two smaller triangles.
After each step make sure to put the pieces back onto the board so you don’t mix up the colors.

Trim each of the squares to 4 1/2 inches. 
I find the Tucker Trimmer incredible useful for this.

Sew first the 4 middle squares together.
Then add a flying geese to each side.
Sew the corner squares to the top and bottom geese.
Sew the rows together. You might want to iron the last two seams open.


I always use my pattern after I have written it to make sure it works. I had much fun making the second block. Hope you do too.
                         Christa

PS: If you would like this pattern as a PDF click HERE!

And here is the Cutting Chart PDF for blocks finished size 16, 14, 12, 10, 8 and 6 inch squares.


The photo is the largest and the smallest woven star.


No comments: