Thursday, May 10, 2018

Easy binding

Most Thursdays, when I can, I join the Stitchers group at the Glen Allen Church of Christ and help with the sewing for Charity. We mainly make quilts for many different causes.
There is an abundance of fabric which was donated and you can do whatever pattern you want. Nobody minds. We all try new things with what there is. Sometimes your idea doesn't work out but most of the time it does. This is my latest effort.



I had cut out many more flowers. Actually enough to make 5 rows so there would have been nothing but flowers. When I put the first two rows next to each other it screamed "to much" to me. So I added random length of greens in-between. I like it. But since I have more flowers cut out, the next will be different. Stay tuned!

The flower pattern is one I found online HERE!
Since I did need a different size I had to figure that out and wrote it down for me.
Happy to share my Flowers in a Row!

Normally you piece the top, find/cut backing and prepare binding. Somebody else does the quilting and then others do nothing but bindings. I had asked for the quilt to be returned to me so I could do the binding. For my own quilts I have never done the second side of the binding by machine but that's whats done here. Time to get a go at it.

And while I was at it I also wanted to try out something I had seen. Helen had given me the Fons & Porter tool to get the beginning and end part of the binding right. I am always a little nervous to not get it twisted.
This method was really great! There is another one where you don't even pin but I think I like this one.


No comments: